Birth Story

 Originally Posted on Facebook on what would have been Evan's 26th birthday:

young black teenager looking up


February 3, 2022 
Shared with Your friends
I took notes when I was in labor. On index cards. If you really know me, you are not surprised. When I was delirious with pain, my mom kept the notes for me. That's how I know the little details are not my maternal embellishments. I had just entered the last grade in the gradebook, and Mama had just folded the last piece of laundry when my water broke. Or rather leaked. Aunt Pam called right when the excitement got started so she was able to let people know the good news was happening. Everything was so smooth.

Well, except for the hospital evacuation due to a fire [wow] or the nurses mixing up my baby with the only other little brown baby boy in the nursery [wow and a side eye] or the doctor saying he could sterilize me when he should have been silently stitching me up [wow squared and anger to the tenth]. It was as smooth as performing miracles can be when you also have to deal with humans in the process.

Birthing takes a long time, so this story could go on for a while. For 21 years I retold the good parts to Evan on his birthday. On his 22nd birthday, I gave the abridged rendition because he and his friend were so ready to go party😄

Thanks for taking a moment with me. I miss telling him all the good parts. But I am so happy and blessed to have our birth story. At 7:38 a.m. 26 years ago I gave birth to a 6 lbs.11 oz baby. He was 19 inches long. He would only open his eyes when he was alone with me and my mama. I named him Evan Rey Henry Singleton. Rey means King.
See less

Comments

Popular Posts